Pastry dough - double crust
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup ice cold water
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
1 teaspoon cold corn oil
6 cups tart apples, peeled and cored
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
Apple Pie Directions:
Prepare the pastry: In a food processor add flour, salt, sugar and process. Add 2 sticks of butter cut up into cubes and process until the size of peas. In a measuring cup, measure water and add oil. While processing slowly add water/oil until a dough ball forms. Form into a disk and wrap in clear wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes. *If you do not have a food processor just mix the dry ingredients and cut the butter into the flour. I use my fingers and rub the butter with flour until I get pea size butter pieces. Slowly add the cold water/oil mixture. Gently form into a ball, wrap and place in fridge.
1. Roll the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate with the bottom crust. Roll out the remaining dough for the top crust. Chill the pastry.
2. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Apple Pie Filling
3. Prepare the filling: Pour the fresh-squeezed lemon juice in the bottom of a large bowl. Add your lemon zest to the bowl. Peel, halve and core the apples. Be sure to remove seeds. Slice them evenly about a 1/4 inch thick into the bowl, coating them with the lemon juice as you go.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugars, flour or cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Add them to the apples just before you want to bake the pie, mix gently. If your apples are really tart you can add more sugar or use less. This is a personal preference.
Assemble the Apple Pie
5. Scrape the filling into the bottom crust, dot with butter and cover it with the second crust. Trim and crimp the crust; You can get fancy with your pie pastry, I cut out an apple with stem and leaves and egg washed it. I sprinkled with coarse sugar. Chill the pie for about 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
Cut vent slits in the top crust. It is your option to sprinkle it with sugar or brush the top with egg wash.
Baking the Apple Pie
Make sure to place pie on cookie sheet.
Juices will leak out and make a mess in oven.
6. Bake the pie on a baking sheet for 10 minutes at 400° F or until the crust looks dry, blistered, and blonde. Turner the oven down to 375°F, and bake for at least 45 minutes more or until the crust is golden brown, and visible juices are thickened and bubble slowly through the slits in the top crust.
Check if the bottom crust has darkened. If not, bake a little more and cover the top crust with foil, so it does not burn.
Let the pie cool.
7. Cool the pie completely before cutting at least a few hours. Serve it at room temperature. Store the pie uncovered in a cool place up to three days.